A recipe and my revamp of it ☺

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I recently went online looking to read other blogs from ladies with large families. I found this site (http://ladyofvirtue.blogspot.com) and saw her recipe collection. I decided that I had to make her breakfast bar recipe. However, her recipe just didn't appeal to my taste that much, so I tweaked it. Below is the link to the original recipe:

http://ladyofvirtue.blogspot.com/2010/02/breakfast-recipe.html

Now don't get me wrong, her recipe looks great. Now below is my revamp of the recipe

Not so Nutritious but still Delicious Breakfast Bars (my version)

1 1/2 cups butter

3 cups brown sugar

Cream together. Add:

5 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Mix.

Add:

3 cups oats

2 cups whole wheat flour

3 tablespoons baking powder

2 cups raw wheat germ

1 1/2 cup coconut

2 cups hershey special dark chocolate chips

2 cups dried cranberries (craisins)

Grease two 9 x 13" baking pans, fill each with half of mixture. Bake at 350*F until golden brown about 30 minutes or until a knife comes clean when inserted.
Cut into bars and serve with a glass of cold milk.

We make these the night before--they are more nutritious than granola (they contain eggs and not so much oil or sugar).
These bars also freeze beautifully. I have a batch in my deep freeze for quick breakfasts or on the go snacking.

Until next time....

0 comments:

Sunrise Mountain

Sunrise Mountain
This is located where my husband grew up in New Jersey

Koenig's 3rd Birthday

Koenig's 3rd Birthday
We went to a local heavy equipment dealer for Koenig's 3rd birthday so he could see the bulldozers there
 
Template Design Downloaded From Free Blogger Templates | Free Website Templates | News and Observers